Update Executive Order 203
In June 2020 Executive Order 203 New York State Police Reform and Collaboration was issued by Governor Cuomo. Crawford Supervisor Charles E. Carnes appointed a committee and the police department was reviewed. After public participation, recommendations were made and a report was presented to the Town Board. In March of 2021, the Town Board adopted the report and recommendations. The following is a brief update of the progress of the police department:
Officer Recording Systems
- Full implementation of Body Worn Cameras.
- While on patrol all uniformed officers, no matter rank, utilize Body Worn Cameras when interacting with the public.
Policies and Procedures
Policies and Procedures are continually reviewed and adjusted.
- Use of Force policy is current.
- Officers have received training in Implicate Bias and procedural justice.
- Additional officers have been trained in Crisis Intervention
- A mental health refresher is being implemented
- De-escalation training is scheduled
- Reality based training has been implemented
The department has partnered with Hope not Handcuffs and the Orange County District Attorney’s Office to divert low level drug offenders to treatment.
The department is currently upgrading its website to provide more information to the community
Starting June 1, 2021 the department will release all press releases on social media and the department website.
The department will host its first Night out on Crime in August.
Chief Dominick L Blasko